Certificate IV in Training and Assessment: Prerequisite skills
You will need to have a high level of language and literacy skills to be able to interpret training packages. You will also need well-developed communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to write a range of documentation. Consider your English proficiency if it is a second language for you.
For example, you will be expected to:
- read and interpret Training Packages
- develop and document learning programs and assessment tools
- present information
- facilitate in a number of contexts using a range of skills, and
- prepare various records and documents.
If you might have difficulty meeting these language or literacy requirements, you should seek other training in language and literacy skills. Your local TAFE college or Adult Community Education centre will normally the best place for you to acquire these skills.
Other skills are required but will not be taught as part of the course:
- For many units, you will also need complex skills in planning, research, interpretation, analysis and synthesis.
- Technology skills are necessary for most units. You will need to have your own access to a computer that you can use, and some tasks also require that you have Internet access.
- A high level of numeracy is not necessarily required unless your vocational field requires it.
If you have a learning difficulty of some kind, you might be unable to complete the requirements.
Current Vocational Competence
You will need your own area of current vocational competence in which you will give instruction. According to the Australian Quality Training Framework you will need it to teach in a registered Training Organisation.
Access to a practice environment
You should be working in or have access to an operating training and assessment environment such as an RTO, a training division in an enterprise, government or community organisation, or training services applied in a voluntary agency.
This will provide opportunities for practice, for applying skills and knowledge and for undertaking relevant work activities that meet the unit requirements.
If this is difficult for you, ask whether an unpaid student teaching practicum could be available.